Professor Stephen Goodwin
Subject: Medicine and Biomedical Science
Department: Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics
College appointment: Tutorial Fellow
Stephen studied genetics as an undergraduate at the University of Glasgow, and researched Drosophila learning and memory for his Ph.D. After a postdoctoral stint with Nobel laureate Jeffrey C. Hall at Brandeis University (USA), where he used molecular-genetic and behavioural approaches in the fruit fly to understand how the sexual identity of a nervous system and its behaviours are specified, he returned to the UK and spent 10 years leading a research group at the University of Glasgow. He arrived in Oxford in 2009, where he is a Professor of Neurogenetics, a Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator, and a Tutorial Fellow in Genetics at Magdalen College. He is part of the Centre for Neural Circuits and Behaviour along with the groups of Gero Miesenböck and Scott Waddell.
Neuroscience, Genetics, and Physiology. Courses: Medicine (First BM parts 1 & 2), Biomedical Sciences (BMS Yr 1 & Neuroscience, Genetics, and Physiology. Courses: Medicine (First BM parts 1 & 2), Biomedical Sciences (BMS Yr 1 & 2), Biological Sciences (Yr1), and FHS (Yr 3) in Medical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences. Postgraduate taught: MSc in Neuroscience.
We are interested in the genetic, developmental, and neural mechanisms that underlie sex-specific behaviours.
- Li, H., Janssens, J., De Waegeneer, M., Kolluru, S.S., Davie, K., Gardeux, V., Saelens, W., David, F., Brbić, M., Leskovec, J., McLaughlin, C.N., Xie, Q., Jones, R.C., Brueckner, K., Shim, J., Tattikota, S.G.,Schnorrer, F., Rust, K., Nystul, T.G., Carvalho-Santos, Z., Ribeiro, C., Pal, S., Przytycka, T.M., Allen, A.M., Goodwin, S.F., Berry, C.W., Fuller, M.T., White-Cooper, H., Matunis, E.L., DiNardo, S., Galenza, A., O’Brien, L.E., Dow, J.A.T., FCA Consortium, Jasper, H., Oliver, B., Perrimon, N.,Deplancke, B., Quake, S.R., Luo, L., Aerts, S. (2022). Fly Cell Atlas: A single-nucleus transcriptomic atlas of the adult fruit fly. Science, 375, eabk2432. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abk2432
- Goodwin, S.F., and Hobert, O. (2021) Molecular mechanisms of sexually dimorphic nervous system patterning in flies and worm. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, 37, 519-547.
- Nojima, T., Rings, A., Allen, A.M., Otto, N., Verschut, T.A., Billeter, J-C., Neville, M.C., Goodwin, S.F. (2021) A sex-specific switch between visual and olfactory inputs underlies adaptive sex differences in behavior. Current Biology, 31, 1-17.
- Chiu, H., Hoopfer, E.D., Coughlan, M.L. Pavlou, H.J., Goodwin, S.F., Anderson, D.J. (2021) A circuit logic for sexually shared and dimorphic aggressive behaviors in Drosophila. Cell, 184, 1-14.
- Zhang, Y., Ng, R., Neville, M.C., Goodwin, S.F., Su, C-Y. (2020) Distinct roles and synergistic function of FruM isoforms in Drosophila olfactory receptor neurons. Cell Reports, 33, 108516.
- Mezzera, C., Brotas, M., Gaspar, M., Pavlou, H.J., Goodwin, S.F., Vasconcelos, M.L. (2020) Ovipositor extrusion promotes the transition from courtship to copulation and signals female acceptance in Drosophila melanogaster. Current Biology, 30, 1-13.
- Allen, A.M., Neville, M.C., Treiber, C., Croset, V., Waddell, S., Goodwin, S.F. (2020) A single-cell transcriptomic atlas of the adult Drosophila ventral nerve cord eLife.54074.