Professor Stephen Goodwin
Subject: Medicine and Biomedical Science
Department: Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics
College appointment: Tutorial Fellow
Stephen was educated at Methodist College Belfast. He received his BSc, and PhD from the University of Glasgow. After his PhD, he had a Postdoctoral fellowship with Professor Jeff Hall at Brandeis University. At the end of 1999 Stephen was educated at Methodist College Belfast. He received his BSc, and PhD from the University of Glasgow. After his PhD, he had a Postdoctoral fellowship with Noble laureate Professor Jeff Hall at Brandeis University. At the end of 1999 Stephen returned to the UK as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Glasgow. He arrived in Oxford in 2009, where he is a Professor of Neurogenetics, and a Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator in the Centre for Neural Circuits and Behaviour.
Neuroscience, Genetics, and Physiology. Courses: Medicine (First BM parts 1 & 2), Biomedical Sciences (BMS Yr 1 & Neuroscience, Genetics, and Physiology. Courses: Medicine (First BM parts 1 & 2), Biomedical Sciences (BMS Yr 1 & 2), Biological Sciences (Yr1), and FHS (Yr 3) in Medical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences. Postgraduate taught: MSc in Neuroscience.
We are interested in the genetic, developmental, and neural mechanisms that underlie sex-specific behaviours.
- Li, H., Janssens, J., De Waegeneer, M., Kolluru, S.S., Davie, K., Gardeux, V., Saelens, W., David, F., Brbić, M., Leskovec, J., McLaughlin, C.N., Xie, Q., Jones, R.C., Brueckner, K., Shim, J., Tattikota, S.G.,Schnorrer, F., Rust, K., Nystul, T.G., Carvalho-Santos, Z., Ribeiro, C., Pal, S., Przytycka, T.M., Allen, A.M., Goodwin, S.F., Berry, C.W., Fuller, M.T., White-Cooper, H., Matunis, E.L., DiNardo, S., Galenza, A., O’Brien, L.E., Dow, J.A.T., FCA Consortium, Jasper, H., Oliver, B., Perrimon, N.,Deplancke, B., Quake, S.R., Luo, L., Aerts, S. (2022). Fly Cell Atlas: A single-nucleus transcriptomic atlas of the adult fruit fly. Science, 375, eabk2432. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abk2432
- Goodwin, S.F., and Hobert, O. (2021) Molecular mechanisms of sexually dimorphic nervous system patterning in flies and worm. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology, 37, 519-547.
- Nojima, T., Rings, A., Allen, A.M., Otto, N., Verschut, T.A., Billeter, J-C., Neville, M.C., Goodwin, S.F. (2021) A sex-specific switch between visual and olfactory inputs underlies adaptive sex differences in behavior. Current Biology, 31, 1-17.
- Chiu, H., Hoopfer, E.D., Coughlan, M.L. Pavlou, H.J., Goodwin, S.F., Anderson, D.J. (2021) A circuit logic for sexually shared and dimorphic aggressive behaviors in Drosophila. Cell, 184, 1-14.
- Zhang, Y., Ng, R., Neville, M.C., Goodwin, S.F., Su, C-Y. (2020) Distinct roles and synergistic function of FruM isoforms in Drosophila olfactory receptor neurons. Cell Reports, 33, 108516.
- Mezzera, C., Brotas, M., Gaspar, M., Pavlou, H.J., Goodwin, S.F., Vasconcelos, M.L. (2020) Ovipositor extrusion promotes the transition from courtship to copulation and signals female acceptance in Drosophila melanogaster. Current Biology, 30, 1-13.
- Allen, A.M., Neville, M.C., Treiber, C., Croset, V., Waddell, S., Goodwin, S.F. (2020) A single-cell transcriptomic atlas of the adult Drosophila ventral nerve cord eLife.54074.