Tutor in History 1984-2017
History of education, science and medicine in Britain and France 1400-1850
- French Higher Education in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries (Oxford University Press: Oxford, 1987), 544 pp.
- [with Gerald Harris and Angus Macintyre], Magdalen College and the Crown (Oxford, 1988), 106 pp.
- [Ed. with Joseph Bergin], Richelieu and His Age (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1992), 288 pp.
- [with Colin Jones], The Medical World of Early Modern France (Oxford University Press: Oxford, 1997), 960 pp.
- [ed. with David Eastwood], A Union of Multiple Identities: The British Isles, c. 1750- c.1850. (Manchester University Press, Manchester, 1997), 222 pp.
- [ed. with J.H. Elliott], The World of the Favourite, 1550-1650 (Yale: London, 1999). [translated into Spanish as El Mundo de los validos (Tauros: Madrid, 1999)].
- Calvet’s Web: Enlightenment and Republic of Letters in Eighteenth-Century France (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002), 471 pp.
- [with Michael Moss and John Cardwell], Nelson’s Surgeon: William Beatty, Naval Medicine and the Battle of Trafalgar (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005), 216 pp. [Winner of the Royal Society of Medicine’s non-clinical medical book of the year, 2006; pbk version, Oxford, 2008].
- [with M Moss, M Ackroyd, J Stevenson, K Retford], Advancing with the Army. Medicine, the Professions and Social Mobility in the British Isles 1790-1850, (Oxford, 2006), 393 pp.
- [ed.], Magdalen College Oxford: A History (Oxford, 2008), 1005 pp.
- [ed. with Heather Montgomery], Childhood and Violence from the Bronze Age to the Present (Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2010). 336
- [ed. with Nicola Sheldon], Mass Education and the Limits of State Building c. 1870-1930 (Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012), 325 pp.
- The University of Oxford: A History (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016), 871 pp.
- Magdalen College School (Oxford: Shire Publications, 2016), 96 pp.
- [ed. with Ritchie Robertson], Isaiah Berlin and the Enlightenment (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016), 258 pp.
- [ed. and introduction], From Provincial Savant to Parisian Naturalist: The Recollections of Pierre-Joseph Amoreux (1741-1824) (Oxford, Voltaire Foundation, 2017), 435 pp.
- The University of Oxford. A Brief History (Oxford, The Bodleian Library, 2018), 144 pp.