COVID-19: information for library users
We are very pleased to be able to welcome college members back to the Longwall Library and the Law Library. Whilst things look a little different in the libraries, we are still here to support your learning and research. During Michaelmas we will be offering the following services:
- The libraries will be open for study and for borrowing and returning books. You do not need to book slots to use the libraries.
- Staffed hours will be 8.30am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
- Self-service printing, photocopying and scanning will be available.
- The library team will be able to answer enquiries in person as well as remotely.
- For those who prefer not to enter the Longwall Library, books can be requested via Click and Collect using SOLO. Books will be available to pick up from the Longwall Library foyer. Click here for more information.
- Books can be collected from the Longwall Library on your behalf if you are self-isolating. Click here for more information.
In order to open the library safely, we ask that:
- You abide by social distancing rules whilst in the libraries. These will be clearly indicated throughout the building.
- You wear a face mask or face covering throughout the building.
- Hands are cleaned using sanitiser on entry and exit to the library and on a regular basis whilst in the building. Sanitiser will be provided.
- All possessions are removed from the library overnight to allow for cleaning.
- You clean surfaces you have touched before and after use, including the self-issue desk, the photocopier and printers. Again, wipes will be provided.
- You clean the desk you have been using when you leave.
- You wait in a queue 2 metres apart from each other to enter or exit the library and to use the self-issue desk when necessary.
These measures should ensure that the libraries are a safe and amenable place to work for the community, but they are dependent on each individual taking responsibility for the health of all library users. They will be treated as library regulations for the foreseeable future and any persistent breaches will be treated accordingly. Please also note that:
- Many of the desks in the Longwall Library are already 2 metres apart. Screens are being erected to increase the number of desk seats available. Some desks will be marked as not in use to ensure social distancing whilst studying in the library.
- The rolling stack area are currently closed to college members. The library team can fetch books from the stack upon request or via Click and Collect.
- Books will be quarantined after loan for a period of 12-24 hours, following recommendations from the Health & Safety Executive and the Bodleian Libraries. Library books that have been used extensively in the library but not checked out will also be quarantined.
- The cleaning team and the library team will routinely be cleaning door handles and stair rails throughout the day.
Please regularly check your email for Library updates, as the rules may change during term. We are also posting useful pieces of information to our social media pages as they become available, so keep an eye out for notifications from @MagdLibAndArch on Twitter and like our Facebook page.