COVID-19: information for library users
Thank you again for your cooperation whilst using the libraries during the pandemic. We know it’s an unnerving time, but we hope to do everything we can to support your learning and research needs. We will be offering the following services in Hilary Term:
- The Longwall and Law Libraries will be open to those college members in residence for study and for borrowing and returning books. You do not need to book slots to use the libraries.
- Staffed hours during term will be 8.30am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
- For those in residence:
- We would like to ensure that the Longwall Library reading rooms are as safe as possible for those using them to study. We ask that those wishing to borrow books do not go into the reading rooms to fetch them from the shelves, but request them via Click and Collect using SOLO. Books will be available to pick up from the Longwall Library foyer. Click here for more information.
- Self-service printing, photocopying and scanning will be available.
- The library team will be able to answer enquiries in person as well as remotely.
- Books can be collected from the Longwall Library on your behalf if you are self-isolating. Click here for more information.
- We may need to close the Longwall Library for an hour each day so that the library team can reshelve books and fetch them for Click & Collect without increasing risk of infection for themselves or our readers. If this is the case it will be advertised in advance.
- Please note that, due to the greatly increased transmissibility of the new variant of Covid19, we will be increasing the post-loan quarantine period from 24 to 72 hours.
- For those studying remotely:
- We will be able to provide digital scans of journal articles, essays and chapters of books where these are not already available via SOLO. Email email@example.com with details of the item you need.
- If you need to request a new book that is not already in Magdalen’s library collection, we can arrange for this to be sent directly to you.
- The Bodleian will continue to run its Scan and Deliver Service and the HathiTrust emergency access arrangement has been reinstated, allowing on-screen access to 1.5 million in-copyright items. Please check here for the latest updates of Bodleian services.
- Let us know if you get stuck and we’ll try to help.
In order to open the Longwall and Law libraries safely, we ask that:
- You abide by social distancing rules whilst in the libraries. These will be clearly indicated throughout the building.
- You wear a face mask or face covering at all times throughout the building.
- Hands are cleaned using sanitiser on entry and exit to the library and on a regular basis whilst in the building. Sanitiser will be provided.
- All possessions are removed from the library overnight to allow for cleaning.
- You clean surfaces you have touched before and after use, including the self-issue desk, the photocopier and printers. Again, wipes will be provided.
- You clean the desk you have been using when you leave.
- You wait in a queue 2 metres apart from each other to enter or exit the library and to use the self-issue desk when necessary.
These measures should ensure that the libraries are a safe and amenable place to work for the community, but they are dependent on each individual taking responsibility for the health of all library users. The new, more infectious variant makes the measures even more important. They will be treated as library regulations for the foreseeable future and any persistent breaches will be treated accordingly. Please also note that:
- The rolling stack area is currently closed to college members. The library team can fetch books from the stack upon request or via Click and Collect.
- Books will be quarantined after loan for a period of 72 hours, following recommendations from the Health & Safety Executive. Library books that have been used extensively in the library but not checked out will also be quarantined.
- The cleaning team and the library team will routinely be cleaning door handles and stair rails throughout the day.
Please regularly check your email for Library updates in case we need to put other measures in place. We are also posting useful pieces of information to our social media pages as they become available, so keep an eye out for notifications from @MagdLibAndArch on Twitter and like our Facebook page.
8th January 2021