Oxford University has over 50 departmental and central university libraries, including the world-famous Bodleian Library, that are used by members of the university as well as researchers from around the world. Each college also has its own library or libraries, primarily for the use of its college members but open to academic researchers, and Magdalen is no exception.
The Longwall Library, in Longwall Quad, contains the circulating, reference, and film collections, covering the spectrum of academic disciplines. The large circulating collection covers most subject areas to at least undergraduate level, with many resources for postgraduates and other members. From 2014 to early 2016 the library was renovated, as detailed on this page.
All of the books and DVDs in the Longwall Library are catalogued on SOLO. The Longwall Library is primarily used by Magdalen students, academics, and other staff, who can access it 24 hours a day. External researchers are welcome to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment to use unique material in the Longwall Library collection for reference purposes on any weekday, and can also borrow from our impressive DVD film collection.
Denning Law Library
The Denning Law Library, situated in the Grove Building, contains an up-to-date reference-only collection of law books, law reports, and periodicals, all catalogued onto SOLO. Access is limited to those studying law at Magdalen.
The Old Library is the original college library. Today it holds a large collection of books published before 1800 and several hundred manuscripts, covering a wide range of topics. More details about the history of the library collection and building may be found here.
The manuscript collection was catalogued (in Latin) by Coxe in the 19th century, and his catalogue may be read as a Google Book. A much-improved catalogue of the manuscripts is currently being prepared for publication. Images of some of the Greek manuscripts are available online. The pre-1800 book collection has been partly (but not entirely) catalogued onto SOLO.
Unsupervised access to the Old Library is restricted to senior members of the college. Other researchers may consult the collection by appointment (e-mail email@example.com), typically on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
The Daubeny Library, housed in the Daubeny Building, is a discrete collection of books on the history of science and scientific research, mainly from the 19th century. The collection comprises the science collection that Charles Daubeny bequeathed to the College in 1867, as well as books added to it by his colleague Edward Chapman. It has recently been conserved, as detailed here. It is a reference collection, with restricted access. The collection has been fully catalogued onto SOLO. Items required by readers may be requested by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, and brought to the Longwall Library for consultation on any weekday.
The McFarlane Library, in the Cloisters, contains the specialist medieval-history collection bequeathed to the College by Bruce McFarlane, who taught medieval history here. It is a reference collection, with restricted access. The collection has been fully catalogued onto SOLO. Items required by readers may be requested by e-mailing email@example.com, and brought to the Longwall Library for consultation on any weekday.