Friends of the Choir
Friends, Patrons and Benefactors of the Choir are an important part of the Choir family. Their support is greatly valued by all the Choir and the whole College community.
The Choir of Magdalen College, Oxford was founded in 1480 with provision made in the statutes for sixteen singing boys, eight Academical Clerks and four chaplains.
This historic legacy has been preserved and maintained over five centuries and the Choir now has an international reputation as one of the finest ensembles in the U.K.
There are now 12 Academical Clerks singing alongside the 16 choristers, and the Consort of Voices was founded in 2010 to offer women students the opportunity to sing in the Chapel on a weekly basis.
In addition to the regular services, the College Choir sings at a number of special occasions throughout the year, including the famous May Day celebrations, an ancient tradition dating back to the 16th century.
The Choristers are part of the College Foundation, with the College providing generous bursaries towards their academic education at Magdalen College School. The Academical Clerks and Organ Scholars are undergraduates at the College, reading for degrees in a variety of subjects.
The College remains committed to supporting the day-to-day activities of the Choir, while the Friends, Patrons and Benefactors of Magdalen College Choir provide essential support in maintaining the Choir’s reputation for touring, recording and performing, and laying the foundations for an endowment that will enable the Choir to flourish for generations to come.
Friend of the Choir
Minimum £10 per month (+ Gift Aid)
(An annual donation could purchase a new set of music)
The benefits of becoming a Friend of the Choir include:
- Priority booking for the Carols by Candlelight service each Christmas
- Newsletters about the Choir’s activities
- Personal acknowledgement in the College’s List of Donors and in all Choir concert programmes
Patron of the Choir
Minimum £40 per month (+ Gift Aid)
(An annual donation could cover the cost of regular singing lessons for one of our choristers)
The benefits of becoming a Patron of the Choir include all of the benefits of being a Friend of the Choir plus:
- Termly Music List and Chapel Card
- A complimentary copy of all new CDs recorded by the Choir
- Two complimentary tickets to the Carols by Candlelight service each Christmas
- Annual invitation to Evensong and drinks with members of the Choir
Benefactor of the Choir
Minimum £4,000 annually (+ Gift Aid)
(An annual donation could enable the Choir to perform a concert with orchestra or commission a new composition to be premiered by the Choir)
The benefits of becoming a Benefactor of the Choir include all of the benefits of being a Patron of the Choir plus:
- Four complimentary tickets to the Carols by Candlelight service each Christmas
- Two complimentary tickets to at least one other Choir concert per year
- The exclusive opportunity to attend private rehearsals and recording sessions
- The opportunity to name a clerkship or to be named in bookplates in new copies of music
- Annual invitation to dinner in College with the Informator Choristarum
“My time as an Academical Clerk at Magdalen was crucial in developing the vocal and musical skills that have been the bedrock of my subsequent career as a musician.”
Roderick Williams OBE
Singer, composer and broadcaster
Academical Clerk 1984-87
For further information on becoming a Friend, Patron or Benefactor, please contact:
The Development Office
+44 (0)1865 286658
You can also get all the latest news about the Choir in our newsletter. Email email@example.com to be added to our mailing list.