Magdalen welcomes applications from prospective undergraduate and graduate students with care experience. If you have lived in care with foster carers, kinship carers, in a children’s home, or under a home supervision order, and are awarded a place at Magdalen, the College offers a package of support that is designed to ensure that you have everything you might need to thrive while studying at Oxford University.
This support includes:
- stable College accommodation throughout the year from the beginning of October to the end of September;
- a non-repayable grant which will mean that your accommodation for the whole year is no more expensive than accommodation on a standard undergraduate or graduate contract;
- the support of a trained member of staff who can help with emotional support and practical guidance while applying to Magdalen, holding an offer from Oxford University, moving to Oxford, and (if your place is at this College) studying at Magdalen.
In addition, all Magdalen students have access to significant financial grants and welfare support in College. This includes:
- non-repayable grants when students need additional financial support to be able to focus on their studies at Magdalen;
- additional grants to enable students to buy books, take part in research, travel, and complete internships;
- specialist welfare services in College, including counselling, mentoring, and personal tutors.
Magdalen’s support is flexible and tailored to your needs. If you would like to find out more or to talk with us about your application to study at Oxford, do get in touch directly. We can reimburse your travel costs if you would like to come to see what College is like. Magdalen will only share your information with those who need to know, and who you agree should be informed. Your application to study at Oxford University will not be affected in any way by any information you share with us. To find out more about any aspect of Magdalen College’s support for care-experienced students, email Magdalen College’s Welfare Dean, Rob Gilbert (email@example.com).
Information about the College’s new outreach programme for children in care is available here.
If you are thinking about applying for an undergraduate place at Oxford and have not had care experience, but have other questions about your financial or welfare needs, you can read more about support from Magdalen College and Oxford University, chat with a current Magdalen student online, or come to visit us for an Open Day.