Invitation to Climb Magdalen College Great Tower
Friday 25th October 2019
10am start followed by coffee in the President’s Lodgings
Please meet at the Porters’ Lodge, ready to start the climb at 10 am.
(If wet, please meet at 10am and we will have early coffee in the President’s Lodgings)
Please enter your details below to confirm your attendance:
A few points to consider:
- The Tower is 144 feet high and ascended via a steep, narrow, and uneven spiral staircase.
- The final portion of the ascent is via a vertical ladder with rails on both sides and a small doorway leading onto the roof.
- There are two rails for the first one third of the ascent and then only one rail.
- If you are liable to suffer vertigo or are not reasonably physically fit, please think seriously about the ascent.
- There are three small landings where passing is possible but passing on the stairway itself is very difficult.
- We will ascend and descend very slowly.
- Once at the top, there is a pitched leaded roof, safe for walking but care should be taken if it is wet.
- Any items you wish to take to the top, such as cameras or phones, should be secured to your person so you are ‘hands free’ for the climb and descent.
- I suggest wearing trousers – or ensure you have a very good friend climbing the tower behind you!