Longwall Library Opened by Prince William
13th June 2016
Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, visited the College on May 11 2016 to open the Longwall Library. A large gathering of students, fellows and staff were present to greet the Duke. He talked to benefactors and students in the Library and unveiled a stone inscription after a speech by the President Professor David Clary. During his visit he talked to many students and staff.
The main building of the Longwall Library was built as a School Hall back in 1851 and was turned into a library in 1932. Through an imaginative redesign and extension the architects Wright and Wright have now tripled the number of workspaces to produce a library with a light and contemporary feel. The building has been largely paid for through a major fundraising campaign which raised close to £8m and received donations from over 1000 Magdalen alumni.
The photographs below show the visit of the Duke in what was an important day in the history of the College.
The Duke of Cambridge Arrives at Magdalen
Walking Through St Swithun’s Quad
With Dusty and Hilarie Huscher and the Fellow Librarian Christine Ferdinand
The Duke talks to Students in Longwall Library
Meeting Paul and Therese Beckwith
The President’s Speech
The Plaque Unveiled
Signing the Visitors’ Book
Leaving Longwall Quad
Talking to the Head Gardener
Chatting to the Scouts
Meeting the Catering Staff
Being Thanked by the President
Photographs taken by John Cairns