MC:P315 Photograph album of Frederick William Weaver (1852-1933)
This photograph album was initially presented to the archivist at Trinity College. As the original owner of the album was identified as an old member of Magdalen College it was then presented to their college archives in March 2008 as accession no. 08/139.
Catalogued in September 2008.
MC:P315/P1/1 c. 1871
Photograph album of Reverend Frederic William Weaver F.S.A. The album is inscribed with the name F.W. Weaver, and the date March 1871 appears on the same page. Weaver attended Magdalen College from 1871 to 1875 where he was a Demy in Mathematics receiving his B.A. in 1875 and his M.A. in 1877. Following his studies at Magdalen, he became Master at Bruton School, 1876-78; Curate at Alford, 1878-79; Curate at Milton-Clevedon, 1879-98; and then Vicar of Milton-Clevedon, 1898-1917. In his later life, Weaver became a noted local historian and genealogist focussing particularly on forgotten families and medieval ecclesiastics. He published on a variety of topics concerning the medieval and ecclesiastical history of Somerset. Weaver was also a member of a number of historical associations in Somerset and became a fellow of the Society of Antiquities in 1900. He died 29 March 1933; his obituary appeared in the Times for 2 May 1933.
The contents of the album are as follows. Folios not mentioned contain no photographs.
Fol. 2r: Photograph of Pugin’s gate seen from outside the college.
Fol. 3r: Two photographs of Magdalen Tower (opposing views, both from the High Street).
Fol. 4r: Photograph of the exterior of St John’s quad facing south with the chapel to the left. To the right of the photograph is a view of a wall of the quad that was demolished in the 1880s.
Fol. 5r: Photograph of Magdalen’s cloister with the Founder’s Tower.
Fol. 6r: Two photographs of college buildings, one of the north side of the cloisters seen from the New Buildings and one of the exterior of the New Building itself.
Fol. 7r: Large photograph of the interior of the college chapel looking down from the organ.
Fol. 8r: Photograph of Frederick Bulley, President of Magdalen 1855-85.
Fol. 9r: Photograph of the interior of the college chapel facing east.
Fol. 15r: Photograph of the Botanic Gardens with the Daubeny Building and Magdalen Tower in the background.
Fol. 16r: Photograph of two people rowing near Magdalen Bridge.
Fol. 17r: Group photograph of undergraduates and women, presumably taken during Commem. Week.
Fol. 18r: Photograph of the same group punting.
Fol. 20r: Caricature of John Ruskin by Ino. No. 16 in his Great Guns of Oxford series entitled ‘President of the “Amateur Landscape Gardening Society”’.
Fol. 21r: Caricature of E. B. Pusey by Ino, presumably one of his Great Guns of Oxford series.
Fol. 22r: Unidentified caricature by Ino. No. 9 in his Great Guns of Oxford series entitled ‘An Eloquent Ritualist’.
Fol. 23r: Photograph of street view featuring Feathers Hotel and Posting House.
Fol. 24r: Photograph of fireplace.
Fol. 25r: Illustration of chained dog and puppies during a flood.
Fol. 28r: Photograph of Cologne Cathedral under construction.
Fol. 29r: Photograph of the interior of Cologne Cathedral.
Fol. 30r: A group of three photographs: the first is of the exterior of Hereford Cathedral; the two remaining are interior views of Hereford Cathedral.
Fol. 31r: Photograph of the exterior of an unknown cathedral.
Fol. 32r: Photograph of a group of Magdalen College members taken outside the cloister. No names given.
Fol. 34r: Loose photograph with an inscription on the back that reads: ‘King Arthur’s Castle . Tintagel Hayman. Photo 523.
Fol. 37r: Loose photograph of King Arthur’s Castle. Appearing on the front of the photograph is the title: ‘King Arthur’s Castle Tintagel looking West. Thorn.
Fol 38r: Loose photograph with an inscription on the back that reads: ‘Bidruthen (?) Steps. Aug 28 1878.’
Fol. 39r: A group of three loose photographs. The first is a view of St. Nightens Kieve Waterfall with an inscription on the back that reads: ‘Seen Sat Aug 31 1878’. Appearing on the back is also the mark of the photographic studio of H. Thorn. The second is a view of an unknown rock formation. The third photograph is a view of a town and church with an inscription on the back that reads: S. Columb Ma [jor] Aug 27, 28, 29, 1878.
Fol. 41r: Loose scenic photograph with an inscription on the back that reads: ‘Armed Knights Rocks. Seen Aug 24 1878. Lands End’.
Fol. 42r: Loose scenic photograph with an inscription on the back that reads: Elizabeth Rock Bidruthen (?) Steps Seen Aug 29 1878.
Fol. 43r: Loose photograph of the interior of a church. Appearing the on the front is the title: ‘Moorwenstow Church. Thorn’. There is an inscription on the back that reads: Moorwenstow Church Seen Sept 2 1878’.
Fol. 44r: One photograph of a church that has the title: ‘Lych Gate Moorwenstow. Thorn’. Appearing on the back is an inscription that reads: ‘Moorwenstow Sep 2 1878’. One illustration of a blacksmith shoeing a horse.
Fol. 52v: Group photograph of Magdalen College members standing outside the cloister. No names given.
Fol. 54r: Photograph of the exterior of St Michael’s Cathedral, Brussels.
Fol. 55r: Photograph featuring the exterior of the Cathedral of Our Lady and statue of Rubens, Antwerp.
Fol. 56r: Photograph of an unknown town and cathedral located beside a river.
Fol. 57r: Scenic photograph of unknown mountains and river.
Fol. 58r: One loose photograph bearing an inscription on the back that reads: ‘Tintagel Hayman. Photo. 145’. One pasted illustration with the title: ‘Bolton Abbey In The Olden Time. Landseer’.
Fol. 59r: Photograph of print of reindeer.
Fol. 60: Photograph of the exterior of King’s College and Chapel, Cambridge.
Fol. 61r: Photograph of the interior of King’s College Chapel.
Fol. 62r: Two illustrations and one photograph. The illustrations are of the interior and exterior of Ely Cathedral. The photograph is of the exterior of Ely Cathedral.
Fol. 63r: Large photograph of an unknown church.