MC:P272 Papers relating to T. E. Lawrence
Thomas Edward Lawrence C.B., D.S.O. (1888–1935) matriculated from Jesus College, Oxford, in 1907 and graduated in 1910. He was a Senior Demy of Magdalen 1911–14, and a Fellow of All Souls 1919–26. D. G. Hogarth, the newly appointed Keeper of the Ashmolean Museum, procured Lawrence the Magdalen Demyship to finance his appointment to a major new archaeological dig being carried out by the British Museum in Syria, at the Hittite city of Carchemish. Hogarth was an archaeologist and explorer who was a Fellow of Magdalen 1886–1927. During WWI, both T.E.L. and Hogarth were based in Cairo and served in the Middle East. In 1916, Hogarth became Director of the Arab Bureau, Cairo. It was during WWI that T.E.L. met one of the Arab leaders, Sherif Feisal (who later became King Feisal I of Iraq) and this meeting was the beginning of T.E.L.’s famous involvement with the Arab Revolt. T.E.L. became Adviser on Arab affairs to the Colonial Office.
The source of the donation of MC:P272/C1/1 is unclear, as is explained in MC:P272/C2/1–5 below. MC:P272/M1/1 was originally stored in the Library, but was transferred to the Archives in August 2009 as Accession 09/140.
Recatalogued in January 2016.
Letter from T. E. Lawrence at the Military Intelligence Office, War Office, Cairo to an unknown addressee. Lawrence writes about the life and work in the Military Intelligence Office; the political situation in the Middle East; and personal matters. A note with the letter states that, according to information given by Mr Malcolm Brown on 20 November 1987, it was addressed to D. G. Hogarth. [2 items.]
Miscellaneous correspondence concerning the acquisition of T. E. Lawrence material from A. W. Lawrence, who was T.E.L.’s literary executor and heir. The papers consist of: one letter from Mrs. Hogarth; three items of correspondence from A. W. Lawrence; and a note written by Professor Gordon (George Stuart Gordon, President of Magdalen 1928–42). In a letter dated 7 May (no year), Mrs. Hogarth (address: 39A St. Giles, Oxford) replies to Professor Gordon, saying that Lawrence’s family would be pleased to donate material to Magdalen. It is possible that Lawrence’s letter (MC:P272/C1/1) was donated either by Mr. Hogarth or his wife. In a letter dated 10 June 1936, A. W. Lawrence (address: 12 Brunswick Square, W.C.1) writes to the President of Magdalen saying that he will donate a set of maps traced by T.E.L. in 1909, and some of T.E.L.’s drawings of castles, to Magdalen (see below). An open letter from A. W. Lawrence, dated June 1975, asks that J. M. Wilson, T.E.L.’s official biographer, be allowed access to T.E.L. material. [5 items.]
Guardbook of maps and castles traced or drawn by T. E. Lawrence. Several of the maps are based on ones drawn by Harry Pirie-Gordon (C. 1902–5). This was given to the College by Lawrence’s brother (see above).