MC:F47 Papers of Clive Staples Lewis (Fellow 1925-54)
C. S. Lewis (1898–1963) had been an undergraduate at University College, Oxford, before being elected an English Fellow at Magdalen College in 1925. In 1954, he moved to Magdalene College, Cambridge, on being elected to a Professorship there.
Although Lewis’s scholarly work, especially his Allegory of Love, won him an academic reputation, he was and continues to be best known both for his works of popular theology, and for his fictional writings, especially the cycle of Narnia novels.
The main bulk of C. S. Lewis’s papers are in the Bodleian Library. More information on these can be found here. At Magdalen, a few letters from him have been presented to the archives from time to time, but otherwise all that remains are a copy of his inaugural lecture at Cambridge, a parcel label and this somewhat surreal newspaper cutting. The lecture text was given to the College by Lewis himself, but nothing is known about the provenance of the other two documents.
Recatalogued in June 2011.
MC:F47/N1 – NEWSPAPER CUTTING
MC:F47/N1/1 10 May 1952
Cutting from the East Kent Times, with a report of a hearing before magistrates at Ramsgate concerning a Miss Victoria Nella Hooker who posed as the fiancee of C. S. Lewis to obtain money by fraud from various people. Lewis was the first witness for the prosecution and could swear that he had never met her before.
MC:F47/X1 – PARCEL LABEL
MC:F47/X1/1 n.d. (c. 1930–54)
Label from package sent by the Oxford and Cambridge Schools Examination Board to C. S. Lewis at “The Kilns”, Headington.
MC:F47/N2 – LECTURE TEXT
Printed text of De Descriptione Temporum, C. S. Lewis’ inaugural lecture as Professor of Medieval and Renaissance English Literature, Cambridge, delivered on 29 November 1954, and printed by CUP, 1955. Inscribed ‘Ex dono auctoris olim socii’.