MC:P220 Double photograph of the Magadlen First Eight, 1910
This double photograph was discovered in a store-room at Lambeth Palace in the early summer of 2003, during a clear-out, and given to the archives of Magdalen College in June 2003 as Accession No. 03/114. It is not known how the photograph came to be at Lambeth: so far as is known, none of the members of the team were ever ordained clergymen, not are any of them known to have had links with Lambeth Palace in any other capacity.
Catalogued in June 2003.
Pair of photographs on one mount showing the Magdalen College First Eight of 1910 (which went Head of the River and won the Grand Challenge Cup at the Henley Regatta that year). The right-hand photograph is a formal group photograph of the team, and the left-hand one shows them in action in Eights Week, rowing past the various College barges. The mount is very elaborately decorated, and includes a pencil drawing of Magdalen Tower.
The team is identified thus:
Milo Massey Cudmore (bow; C. 1908–11; killed in 1916).
Leslie Graham Wormald (2; C. 1909–12).
Eugen Millington-Drake (3; C; 1908–12).
William Dukinfield Nicholson (4; C. 1907–10; mistakenly labelled as ‘W.H. Nicholson’ on the mount; killed 1915).
Duncan Mackinnon (5; C. 1906–10; killed in 1917).
Arthur Stanley Garton (6; C. 1908–11).
Edgar Richard Burgess (7; C. 1910–14; mistakenly labelled as ‘R.. E. Burgess’ on the mount).
Philip Fleming (stroke; C. 1908–10).
Arthur William Fishburn Donkin (cox; C. 1906–10).
Unfortunately, apart from Donkin, it is not clear which man is sitting in which place on the photograph.