MC:F18 The Papers of Robert Cholmeley (Fellow 1843-58)
How and when the manuscript arrived in the archives is unknown. Robert Cholmeley (1818-1880) matriculated at Wadham College in 1836. He was an exhibitioner at Corpus Christi College. Cholmeley obtained his BA in 1840 and in that same year entered Lincoln’s Inn. He received his MA from Magdalen College in 1843. Cholmeley was elected to the fellowship of Magdalen in 1843 after a narrow defeat in 1840. In 1847, he was ordained a deacon and in 1858, Cholmeley received his ordination as a priest, his BD and DD. He served the college as Dean of Arts in 1846, Bursar in 1848, 1852, 1857, Proctor in 1854,Vice-President in 1856 and Dean of Divinity in 1860. He was presented to the vicarage of Findon, Sussex in 1859 and remained there until his death in 1880.
A Latin letter to Pres. Routh (1791-1854) requesting permission to stand for the fellowship, together with a short Latin thesis, is in the second volume of Letters from Fellows [MS 474]. There is also an English letter presenting to the President on a birthday an inkstand made from an elm-branch which had fallen in the Grove.
Catalogued February 2005
MC: F18/MS1/1 18 Sep 1853
Letter (1 leaf) to Revd. Robert Cholmeley from William Parsons, third earl of Rosse (1800-1867). The letter expresses concerns over a suspected accounting error in his battels. [The Earl of Rosse, astronomer, matriculated from Magdalen College as a Commoner in 1821, and was an Honorary Fellow of the College in 1862-7. He was a Fellow, and later a President, of the Royal Society. In 1841, Parsons launched his largest and most expensive telescope project, the construction of a Newtonian reflector with a 6 ft aperture and a 4-ton mirror. This instrument, known as ‘the monster telescope’ or ‘Leviathan of Parsonstown’, completed in 1844, was the largest telescope in the world for over six decades.]