MC:PR31 Papers of Frederick Bulley (President 1855-1885)
Frederic Bulley was born in Reading in 1810 and matriculated at Magdalen College as a demy aged 14. He obtained a third class degree in Literae Humaniores in 1829 and was made a fellow in 1837, holding various college offices, including Dean, Bursar, Librarian, Vice-President and made President, replacing Martin Routh in 1855. Bulley was granted his B.D. in 1840 and D.D. in 1855, shortly after which he married Margaret Daubeny. As his presidency followed that of Routh, a number of commentators have seen Bulley to have been acting rather in the shadow of Routh, despite this, he was active in defending Magdalen’s privileges against the University Commissioners and in particular the University Observer, M.J. Johnson. During his tenure of the presidency, the college removed its statute restricting the admission of commoners and the St Swithun’s Buildings were built in order to accommodate the new students. An enthusiastic high churchman, Magdalen Chapel under Bulley saw, not only the introduction of a statute of the Virgin, much to Professor Daubeny’s disgust, but also the music of Stainer, Parratt and Varley Roberts as organists. Bulley died on 3 September 1885 and was buried at Marston Meysey. His son, Frederic Pocock Bulley was also an undergraduate and fellow of Magdalen, acting as Home Bursar 1884-97. See also, Macray, iv, pp. 129-132 and Middleton, Magdalen Studies, ch. 3.
Publications: A tabular view of the variations in the communion and baptismal offices of the Church of England, from the year 1549 to 1662. To which are added those in the Scotch prayer book of 1637. With an appendix illustrative of the variations. (Oxford, 1842)
This collection forms the bulk of the papers relating to President Bulley in his capacity as college president and combines various small collections of papers, previously scattered throughout the archive. It has been split into two sub-fonds as follows:
Further information about each collection is given in the introduction to each subfonds.
Recatalogued by Richard Hunt in May 2008.